Its been a while since my last post because I have been caught up with so many other things. I have been away twice and have recently (2 days ago) returned from Turkey craving Fried Chicken but needed to cut down on my calories so here is the low fat version 🙂 Enjoy it as much as me.
Crispy Baked Chicken
- 4/6 boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into manageable pieces
- 4 egg whites
- 170g lightly crushed cornflakes
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp. yogurt
- ½ tsp crushed or ground ginger
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 tbsps flour
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp of brown sauce (Worcester sauce)
- 1 tsp garlic paste/powder (optional
- Place the chicken in a bowl and add the crushed ginger, garlic, yogurt, lemon juice, sauce and mix together. Cover with cling film and marinate for at least 3 hours minimum.
- Preheat the oven as shown below. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray. In a plastic bag, combine the cornflake crumbs, thyme, oregano and pepper (chilli flakes) shake well. Dip and coat the chicken piece in egg whites then place in the bag, one piece at a time, and shake the bag to coat each piece of chicken well. Remove the chicken from the bag, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- At this point you can drizzle 2-3 tablespoons of melted butter over the chicken for that little extra crispiness, if you don’t mind the extra calories.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear when the thickest part of the chicken is pierced with a fork. This is about 40 to 45 minutes but use your own judgment according to the size of your chicken pieces
Degree of Difficulty: Easy
Oven Temperature: 170fan/190 C/375F/Gas 5
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Crispy Corn Flake (Baked) Chicken Strips (simplymadekitchenandcrafts.com)
- Crispy Baked Chili Chicken & Asian Style Fried Rice (lowcalvangal.wordpress.com)