The traditional Turkish “bride” soup is fed to new brides, right before their wedding, I wonder why lol.
- 30g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped or diced
- 1 tbsp sumac (optional)
- 75g red lentils
- 2 tbsps tomato puree
- 3 or 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 40 fl oz water
- 75g bulgur wheat
- 1 tsp mild chili paste
- 2 tsps cayenne pepper
- 2 tsps dried mint
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add the onions and fry until golden brown. Halfway through,add the garlic.
- Add the lentils, tomato puree, chili paste, water, bulgur and salt, bring to the boil, mixing well then reduce the heat and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Add the cayenne pepper and dried mint. Mix well and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes or until the lentils and bulgur is soft. Serve immediately.
Cooking Time: 30 minutes