Shami Kebabs are a popular spicy fried Pattie and are usually served as a starter or a snack. They are so nice though, you could just keep picking one up now and again throughout the day.
- 500g mince meat
- 1 tsp ground garlic
- 2 pinches red chili powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp split gram (split chickpeas soaked overnight)
- ¼ tsp cumin (toasted)
- ¼ tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste (start with ¼ tsp)
- 2 eggs
- cooking oil for frying
- 1 small onion
- 4 small green chillies finely chopped
- 1 handful of green coriander leaves chopped
- Put the minced meat, the split chick peas, garam masala powder, garlic, ginger, red chillies, cumin and salt in a pan and cover with just enough water so that the split chickpeas or ‘dhal’ becomes soft but not mushy. By this time the mince will also become tender.There should not be any excess water so if you think there is, put the mixture on a high heat and boil off till almost dry. Keep watching and stirring so it does not catch the bottom of the pan.
- When this process is completed put the onion, the green chili, 1 small egg, the green coriander and the mince mixture into a food processor or blender and blend it till it becomes a smooth mixture. When this is done transfer to a bowl and proceed to make small flat patties out of the mixture. Whisk one egg and keep aside.
- In a large frying pan heat some oil for shallow frying and then dip the patties in egg and fry in oil. When dark golden brown remove, drain and serve immediately.