This is the first recipie on my blog. It was passed on to me about 30 years ago by a friend who actually lived in liverpool and told me it was a very populary fare. Its an easy to make fruitcake which i find moister than the ordinary bake fruit cake. I use orange and cranberry juice for the extra flavour but it works almost as well with just water.
- 130ml orange or cranberry juice.
- 20ml sunflower oil
- 57g finely chopped pecan or walnuts
- 360g mixed fruit
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
11/2 tsp mixed spice
170g margarine or butter
150g demerara sugar
2 large eggs (beaten)
320g self-raising flour (sifted)
½ tsp almond extract
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp ground ginger
- Prepare a 7/8″ deep round cake tin by greasing it and lining it.
- Sieve flour and mixed spice together and put to one side.
- Put water, margarine, mixed fruit, golden syrup and demerara sugar into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes and set aside to cool .
- When the mixture is cool, add beaten eggs and mix thoroughly then fold in the flour and spice mix. Finally mix in the almond extract.
- Pour mixture into the prepared tin and cook at 150 C for the first half hour, then 130 C for a further hour or until cooked
- Leave the cake in the tin until cold, then turn out, wrap in grease proof paper and store in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
Oven Temperature: 300f/150 C/Gas 2 ½ to 3
If the cake is to be eaten without decoration, sprinkle demerara sugar on the top before baking to give a nice crunchy topping.