Although my father was Polish i am not a great lover of Polish food especially savoury food. However i am quite partial to some of the sweets and desserts. Cheesecake is one of the most popular desserts in Poland and my favourite. I think its far better than the European cream cheese no bake version and i would certainly recommend you have a go at it. You can omit the raisins but they are part of this traditional recipe
- 250g plain sweet biscuits
- 125g butter, melted
- 750g full fat cottage cheese
- 200g castor sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp*rum flavouring or 1 tsp of lemon extract
- 85g raisins
- 57g butter; not margarine
- 3 large eggs separated
- 3 tbsp buttermilk or heavy cream
- ½ tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 tbsp coarse semolina
- Brush a 20cm/8″ spring form cake tin with melted butter and set aside.
- To make the base, put the biscuits in a food processor and crush till fine crumbs. Add the butter and process until combined. You can do this by hand using a rolling pin if you haven’t got a food processor.Transfer to spring-form cake tin and use the back of a spoon to spread the mixture evenly over the base. Tap it down evenly all over with the base of a glass. Place in the fridge until required
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/ gas 4/160c for fan oven. Press the cottage cheese through a sieve and drain off any liquid. In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar, and the egg yolks. Beat until frothy, then add the cornflour,semolina, milk, rum/lemon flavouring, cheese, lemon rind and raisins blending well. Separately beat the egg whites until they from soft peaks, then gently fold them into the cheese mixture gently.
- Add the mixture to your cake tin and bake for 50 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
- After the first 15 minutes, to prevent the surface from tearing, run a knife along the inside of the spring form rim to loosen the crust. Repeat again 10 minutes after you have taken the spring form out of the oven, let the cake cool off in the spring form tin
- The cheesecake is properly cooked when the edges are firm and the centre is set but not yet firm
- Cover loosely with plastic film and place in the fridge overnight to firm. Remove 30 minutes before serving. Cut into slices and dust with icing sugar to serve
180 C/ gas 4/160c for fan oven